Thursday, March 8, 2012

Masimaham day 250 Kumbakonam

Why is everything so relaxed here in Southern India. Today was the festival of Masimaham. I was prepared for mayhem. But, nope. Everything even more relaxed than the average German fun fair. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed.
The festival is basically about washing off your sins. There are plenty of tanks in this town. Legend has it that a normal sin can be washed off in a sacred temple, a sin committed in a sacred place can be washed off by a pilgrimage to Varanasi, a sin committed in this holy city can only be washed off by a pilgrimage to Kumbakonam, thus making Kumbakonam even more sacred than Varanasi. And now the dangerous part: a sin committed in Kumbakonam is washed off on the spot! Given that background knowledge I am pleasantly surprised that I saw so few people engaging in murder today.
I visited some temples and the main tank. Around the main tank were many newly sin-free people and stalls selling food, religious stuff and neon coloured toys for the children. Two elephants gave their blessings in return to a treat. There were quite some people but it was still far from being crowded. I had hoped to some of the big 3 storeys high chariots being moved through the streets, but I either came at the wrong time or they weren't moved at all. Overall nice but not super exciting.
The other news is: I got my new glasses. Let's put it this way: certainly I can see the Indian girls much more clearly now but the way the glasses make me look does not leave me a ghost of a chance to pick one up.

1 comment: