Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 295 - 296 Aurangabad

For one day I just relaxed, mostly in my nice and quiet hotel room. The next day I explored the sigths of Aurangabad. The first sight was the Bibi Ka Maqbara, fittingly called the
Poor man's Taj Mahal. From a distance it looks very similar to the Taj, only if you look closer you will see in that the craftsmanship is of a poorer quality than that of the Taj - the whole thing is still very nice though. From there I cycled up to the Buddhist caves of Aurangabad. According to travel guides they are much less impressive than the nearby Ellora caves - but also this ones here are definitely worth seeing. On the way up some guys with motorcycles were hanging around under a tree. One of them started talking to me - unfortunately his second sentence was "You want buy Marijuana" - I told him to get lost very fast - first time nicely, second time loud and accompanied by half of my water bottles content poured over him - the second try worked, very much to the laughter of his buddies. The caves are split into two groups of 5 each, of which I liked the lesser visited group more. Most of them are monasteries, i.e. one big pillared hall with ornate carvings on the walls, a sanctum with a big sitting buddha and simple cells surrounding it all. At one of the caves I met German/Bosnian traveller Hadet who just started his several month trip around the world. We agreed on trying to cycle to the Ellora caves together tomorrow - if we can find a proper bicycle for him, let's see... 

No comments:

Post a Comment