Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 024 Komárom - Sárisáp

I found my peace with the Slovakian Weather Makers. I dared to give Slovakia another try so I crossed Danube this morning, a decision which was considerably influence by the outlook to ride the flat slovakian bank and look at the beautiful hungarian hills instead of riding through the latter. Though it was cloudy and pretty cold it stayed dry most of the time, so it was a great ride. On the way I passed by a monument remembering the peace between the German/Hungarian King and the Turks in 1606 - the main feature of the monument were 6 bells so I simply had to try them out. As later with leaving Slovakia I also left both Euro-zone and Kofola-zone I had to use my last chance for spending the first on the latter at a decently placed boat-restaurant on the Danube. When I was still riding on the slovakian bank but already saw the huge impressive basilica of Esztergom (largest church in Hungary) a short but heavy rain started - grmpf, the Slovakian Weather Guys seemingly did not want to let me go without that. Anyway, it forced me to spend my very last Euro in a long while for a delicious hot chocolate, so everything turned out perfectly fine. Once I had crossed Danube into Hungary again I first had some trouble finding the way but finally made it safely to the charming village of Sárisáp located in a lush mountain valley. There my host, Mrs. Urbanics welcomed me with overwhelming hospitality. I got to know to her mother and one of her daughters (who kindly translated between Hungarian and German) along with her husband. I am again and again amazed, how openly and warmly people welcome a dusty sweaty cycling stranger at their home, even if there is no common language. I wish I would know (and could pronounce) more Hungarian words than Köszönöm (thank you) to properly show my gratitude.







1 comment:

  1. Juhuuuu, I'm so happy, that everything went well... :D
    All the best!!!
    Magdi

    ReplyDelete