Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 066 Balikesir - Soma

I had a hard time getting started today. Possibly I went for a too cheap lodging option last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and felt eaten by mosquitoes - nothing very special about that, alone: I was also bitten at places that no mosquito could possibly have reached. I guess the place had quite some problem with bedbugs. I hope I don't have any of these now travelling with me, brrrrrrr, even thinking of it makes me feel itchy. Understandably the rest of the night was not very relaxing. If you should ever happen to come to Balikesir, Adalet Oteli is not recommended. During dinner locals had warned me that it is a bad place but at that time it was too late.
Anyway, somehow I got started. Cycling was unusually hard in the beginning, or so I thought - later I found two positive explanations for that: 1. A massive gravitational anomaly in the area. 2. A tricking landscape - even though it looked like a straight road I was actually cycling uphill. I guess explanation 2 is much more likely - later in the day I experienced the opposite deception: the road looked perfectly straight again, but this time my bike just kept on rolling and rolling. After I had left a big industrial complex in the outskirts of Balikesir behind me the ride was pretty scenic, culminating in the sight of the divinely named town of Soma, nestling to the foot of some 1000m mountains. Wonderful name, wonderful location, so a perfect place to spend the night.






No comments:

Post a Comment