Saturday, September 24, 2011

Day 085 Antalya - Side

Goodbye happy days of sunshine,friends, sea and bliss.
Welcome hard & lonely days, climbing up high mountains, crossing barren land with noone by your side.
Ok, today was still grace period. Yesterday evening I had to say goodbye to Helena and Jörg who helped me a lot by bringing bikestuff from Germany, by giving me some of their equipment and most importantly by being there as the best possible friends. Muchas muchas gracias guapissimos!
During our farewell dinner I had a black bitch snoozing at my feet. After saying goodbye she followed me all the way through the old city to my hotel. Only there she was not allowed in and started to bark for a long time. I do not know what she thought that I have promised here - but I felt like a betrayer.
In the morning I had to make some adjustments to Arthur - yesterday I had noticed a slash in one of my panniers and some small holes in another. Fortunately Jörg gave me two of his to use, I just had to make them fit to Arthur. When I was nearly out of Antalya I had one last jump into the mediterranean sea - tomorrow I will go up into the mountains and cross central anatolia to the black sea. Cycling was easy today. After 5 holidays crowned by a visit to a hamam I was perfectly relaxed. Furthermore todays way was very flat - just following the sea. So I quickly covered more than 90km. It was not very spectacular - some of the way was a bit inland with nothing much to see and when I was back on the coast most of it was covered by huge hotel complexes (though some of them were spectacular in their ridiculousness). Shortly before arriving in Side I was outrun by 3 German (or Swiss?) cyclist who just arrived in Turkey and will be going pretty much the same way as me for the next week - but they are cheaters: they have a car transporting all their luggage, tststs...
Side looks like a big tourist resort but it has a very nice side: a huge, pompeji-style antique city only partly excavated. I spent the sunset strolling through the ruins.









No comments:

Post a Comment