Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Day 162 Esfahan - evening with friends

After some rest I met up with Behrooz - I had met him on day 117 at the hostel in Batumi, Georgia and we had exchanged numbers there. Once we met again we noticed that we both knew another guy: Ugur, a turkish traveller who Behrooz had met in Tbilissi and I had met in Tabriz and now again in Esfahan at the hostel - the world is small !
Behrooz showed me some hidden places in Esfahan an I gave him a demonstration of my control over space object by eclipsing the full moon while we were promenading over Imam square. He is very smart and we had good talk about the beauties of Esfahan and the benefits and hardships of travelling. Later he invited us to the home of his friend Mustafa, a very cool guy: he is as old as me, speaks German, has two lovely children and he plays Setar (and that very good - when his children would let him) - this was particularly interesting for me, as this instrument is kind of the predecessor of both the guitar and Indian sitar. It was a wonderful wonderful evening.
The idea behind the journey was to feel the connection between Germany and India and in Iran you can feel a lot of both sides: the instruments show the connection, the poetry contains many motives that sound very familiar to me, the language contains some reminders of both German and (North-)Indian languages - for example the names of the numbers are already very similar to the Hindi numbers. Also the food is getting very close to indian food - just with less spice and more meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment