Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 173 Yazd

Even more lazy day than yesterday - basically just hanging out at the hostel, eating, talking and doing a little bit of planning. Only two times I ventured out: first for getting food and sweets (there are very very good sweets in yazd!) and having a stroll through the bazaar, later for visiting a zurkhane - a traditional persian sports club. A group of men exercise in a circle accompanied by a (very good) drummer/singer. They start with some push-up styled exercises, followed by some more dance-style ones. Later they start swirling heavy wooden clubs - this seems to be a very efficient exercise, I tried it later and soon realized that even though I had enough strength in my arms I was restricted by the missing strength in my wrists. After the club-swirling part another dance part and finally free training, when some shook hëävÿ and loud metal things to the rhythm of the drummers song while others started lifting heavy wooden 'doors'. All this plus the setting in the dome of an old water reservoir left a lasting impression on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment