Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Day 179 Pasargad - Persepolis

Woohoo, today I checked in at the most expensive accomodation in Iran so far. 300000 Rials! That is after negotiating/flirting with the reception ladies!
But I reside like a king. Literally! That place was built by order of the shah for the head of states attending the 2500 year of Persian monarchy celebration in 1971. It is about 250m from the entrance of Persepolis. It is very comfortable. And it even features a pool with swans, pelicans, flamingoes and other strange waterfowl at the entrance. Totally worth spending 16,66€ !

The day had already started very good. After a cold night (-4°C in-tent) I got invited into Simon and Anettes yellow bus for delicious pancakes and coffee. Later Siggi started to explore the surroundings, including my luggage, my guitalele and my tent. I got a bit jealous: I barely fit in horizontally, but he can stand upright in it!
The ride was very scenic today. Basically I made a big S through a wide river valley. Yep, there are rivers here again - real ones, with water and stuff. Seems that I finally made it out of the desert. The landscape would have been quite suitable for some apaches and cowboys riding along.
I stopped at a shrine when the infamous yellow bus drove by and stopped for a saying goodbye. The shrine itself was closed, but the deserted and very chaotic graveyard was interesting. At some point the valley turned into a wind channel - no matter which way I went, I always had headwind. But no problem, I was not in a hurry. Shortly before arriving at Persepolis I had a quick detour to the huge rock tombs of Naqhs-e Rostam - most probably the tombs of such great names as Darius I & II, Xerxes and Artaxerxes I. Interestingly these ones are facing south - while the entrance to the tomb of their predecessor Cyrus the Great in Pasargad never receives any sunlight.
I arrived at Persepolis at sunset. I will explore the site tomorrow morning, this evening I will just relax and enjoy my kingly accomodation.

No comments:

Post a Comment