Sunday, November 13, 2011

Serpentine day 133 Goris - Kapan

Beautiful but exhausting. The road from Goris winds down to a deep deep gorge - that was the easy part. On the other side starts a 1000m ascend on countless serpentines. This was hard work but it was well worth it - the views were magnificant: first into the rugged gorges, then over the Lachin corridor to Nagorno-Karabakh in the distance and later down to the valley of Kapan.
Kapan is a mining town bearing a striking resemblance of Halle-Neustadt - but in a much more dramatic setting: in a deep valley with a 3000m mountain towering above one side. When I arrived I clearly felt the exhaustion of the last days - I quickly organized a lot of food and retreated to my room.
Now there is only one pass left on my way to Iran - this is however the highest and hardest one.

No comments:

Post a Comment