Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 244 Tiruchchirappalli

Uuuh, slowly it gets really hot here - up to 38°C today. Good that I didn't cycle today. I walked to the main sights of Tiruchchirappalli. Which was exhausting enough as the first sight was a temple on a hilltop. I was soaked in sweat when I got there. The temple itself was not super-impressive, but the location and people around where nice. After some rest and a sizable amount of water and juice I continued to Sri Ranganathaswamy temple sporting the tallest Hindu Gopuram (gateway tower) in the world and several smaller ones. Most of the gopurams were outside the temple complex - I walked through 3 or 4 of them before reaching the temple itself. Somewhere on the way I tasted some jackfruit - another extreme: the largest tree-borne fruit in the world. It reminded me of pineapple combined with a strange savoury flavour. Somehow weird but still somehow good. What kept stuck in my memory about the temple was the hot floor wherever the sun reached. I tried to get from shadow to shadow as fast as possible - nevertheless I can still feel my burned soles of my feet. On the way back I took a riksha - at first I was pleasantly surprised by the low price - until I realized that my last riksha ride was in Sri Lanka - I had still compared the price to Sri Lankan rupees which are worth about a third of Indian rupees.

No comments:

Post a Comment