Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 253 Puducherry - Auroville

I spent the day in Auroville - a futuristic experimental town. That is, futuristic in a 70s sense. Its center is the Matrimandir - the shrine of the mother - big, round, golden. The mother was the companion of well known guru Sri Aurobindo and she is the one who commissioned the whole place. It is supposed to become a place where people from all over the world can live and work peacefully together. And it is all based on the spiritual writings of Sri Aurobindo - which I don't know at all. Even though this might all sound a bit too esoteric the whole thing is supported by UNESCO. One thing I really like about the place is their strong focus on sustainability. As I was searching for accomodation I saw a note that the local radio is searching for volunteers who know about sound editing and computer programming. Sounds like me :) I will check with them on Monday and if it works out I might stay here for a week or two. In the evening there was a concert - the local Aurovillean Rock Band playing mixed-quality renditions of everything between the Stones and Lady Gaga.

No comments:

Post a Comment