Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 189 Laft - Qeshm

I am very relaxed now! The weather is perfect - were it not for the Iranian dresscode, I wouldn't even have to wear a shirt. And I have enough time - the next ferry from Bandar Abbas to the Emirates goes in 3 days and I only have to cycle about 70km across Qeshm Island and organize the boatride to Bandar Abbas until then. I started the day respectively relaxed with a long breakfast. Once on the road the ride turned out to be not too exciting - most of Qeshm Island is deserted. But I finally saw camels! Yeah! Since somewhere after Qom there were a lot of camel-warning-signs on the streets, but there never was one of the beasts. Here on the island the camels can mostly roam free. In the villages the many women wear very specific face masks - some multicoloured and covering the whole face and some black and strangely looking like moustaches!
At some point a yellow VW bus drove by - Simon, Anette & Siggi whom I had met in Pasargad! They gave me the news that it was a good idea to take the direct road from Shiraz to the Persian gulf. I had thought about going to Bushehr and then go along the coast to Bandar Abbas - they said most of this road was very very nice, but it also had a very very strong headwind!
Once I arrived in Qeshm town I needed 3 tries to find a hotel which had a decent room for a decent price. Other than in the rest of Iran it is high season down here - winter is the only time when this part of the Persian Gulf coast has survivable temperatures - in summer it can go up to 50°C here! The hotel I found turned out to be a perfect choices - it has very helpful staff who even showed me a place to wash Arthur - I didn't even ask - my bike surely must look very dirty after thousands of kilometres of desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment