We got up relatively early and cycled all the way (14km) to the Indian embassy in the modern suburbs - where we found out that the Visa processing is handled by a company with its office very close to our hotel, grmpf!
As we were in the suburbs already we checked out a very good bicycle store: http://www.omanbicycle.com - they are very good, but they are also very busy. We decided to have our bikes maintained there once we get back from Dubai Marathon.
We cycled back to the Indian Visa Processing Company in Ruwi - it looked quite chaotic, but people were knowledgeable and friendly. We got to know that:
- they will have to get clearance from the Indian embassies in Germany/Switzerland
- therefore processing will take about 5 workdays
- we can get our passports back to travel to the Emirates while they wait for the clearance
- once they have clearance we can get the Visa within 3 days
- we applied for 6 month tourist visa (which is automatically multi-entry).
The application for us both took about 2 hours and we had to pay 28 Omani Rials each. We will collect our passports on Saturday (in 2 days) and move on and bring them back for getting the Visa once we are back from the Emirates.