Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 037 Kovin - Veliko Gradište

Got up late and started riding along the embankment again - once again beautiful nature including an abundance of storks (white and black) and herons (grey and purple). The mountains on both sides grew nearer and finally I had to cross Danube again. While waiting for the ferry I met a french couple celebrating his retirement with a 2 month cycling trip along Danube. Soon later Oliver from Germany joined, who today had lost his companion of the similar Donaueschingen to Black Sea trip due to puncture. The Danube is very wide here, the ferry ride had a bit of ocean feel, including waves, seagulls and fishy odours. On the other bank Oliver and me decided to ride together for the rest of the day. The mountains on the side we left belong to Romania already. I am not sure if I will ride in Romania for one or two days later, but now at least I can say that I have seen it :). The mountains here mark the entry of the Iron Gate - soon the landscape reminded me more of a mountain lake or a fjord than a river. It is already very stunning and will get even more so for the next 2 days, so I really have something to look forward to. In Veliko Gradište Oliver had the next puncture. After getting it fixed with the support of some very helpful Serbians the sun had already set, so we stay here for the night close to the inland-beach-resort of silver lake, an old arm of the Danube, now cut off from the river.










No comments:

Post a Comment