Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 069 Yenifoça - Ïzmir

Mission accomplished! Today I delivered a letter from Mohacs, Hungary to Izmir.
Furthermore I had my first flat tire today - fortunately it happened when I was already in Izmir, so I could just push Arthur to a save place. But even this proved more difficult than expected - I somehow got lost in a maze of canals and flyovers and had to carry Arthur along some dirt track and a construction ground (including street dogs) before I got back to a safe sidestreet, where people immediately wanted to guide me to a cycle repair shop. I somehow arrived safely at a (expensive) hotel where Arthur is waiting for his repair in the morning. Izmir is the most expensive place in Turkey so far. It is more of a business than a traveller destination, therefore budget options are somehow missing.
Before that I had the most exciting cycling experience of the whole trip - entering 3.x million people city Izmir on a busy highway, yay, that was fun. After this experience I am very happy that I had earlier decided to chicken out of taking the highway into 4 times bigger Istanbul.
Earlier in the day I arrived in the seaside town of Foça, had some nice talk with the locals during lunch - the usual stuff: where are you going, where are you coming from, how long did it take, wow that must be hard,... until the sight of two girls walking by made one of the guys go completely crazy - he strongly adviced me that I would have to perform oral mammary stimulation to an turkish woman - he would not stop telling me so (using much more pejorative diction than I would ever dare) for about 10 minutes or so. Most people you meet while travelling are really nice but every once in a while you meet some decent weirdos.
In the morning I had a beautiful ride on a lovely lonely road between the mountains and the sea. As I had a lot of time I took a detour around a peninsula with beautiful seaviews. The only drawbacks were many military areas blocked by barbed wire, I suppose due to the Greek Island of Lesbos within eyeshot.

For your reading pleasure and intellectual stimulation this post was presented to you in reversed time.









No comments:

Post a Comment