Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 122 Akhalkalaki - Gyumri

It was cold when I woke up but soon the sun made the day very enjoyable. Most of the day I cycled across a high plain offering sublime views over snow topped mountain ranges. A wonderful farewell to Georgia! On the border everyone was extremely nice - maybe except for a couple of dogs who chased me through no man's land. Getting the Armenian visa was easy: fill some form, change money, pay (3000 Dram = 6 € for 21 days) and off I went. Armenia again ! I have been here before - 2 years ago, travelling with my dad. Back then we did not go to the northwestern corner, so it will take me a bit more time until I am on known ground. The first thing I realized about Armenia: in that corner it is an very empty country - big distances between the villages and inbetween only hills covered with stones and yellowish brownish grass. But it was really nice - along with the clear cold air and the sunshine it really felt like ultimate freedom. In Gyumri I had since accomodation problems: the two hotels I found were full - but I also did not feel like camping at -6°. Fortunately I found another one: Hotel Golden Apricot - the
most expensive hotel on that trip, but it was worth it: Very nice room and I even got served a Golden Apricot Cake and Tea, mmmhhhh.








No comments:

Post a Comment