Sunday, November 20, 2011

Foggy day 140 Marand - Tabriz

Before entering Iran I was aware that the women would be veiled. However I was not aware that the country itself would be veiled, too. Today was a very foggy day. I started late as I had hoped that the fog would dissolve somewhen in the morning - but it did not so I eventually got on the road without really seeing it. Most of the time I could cycle well beside the road and most cars drove unusually slow. It still did not feel very safe, especially as the day started with an ascend where I could not go fast enough to make my lights work. As a temporary safety measure I installed my headlight on my back panniers. Shortly after the start I got a bit lost in the fog while trying to cycle beside the road in a road construction area. Fortunately the visibility got a bit better once I had reached the highway to Tabriz and the top of the hill. From there on it was an easy downhill ride, but still with not much to see around. When I entered Tabriz the fog was finally gone. Naturally the city traffic was a bit of an adventure - with roundabouts of dimensions and craziness that I only know from Halle - with 10 times the traffic and about 100 times the lust to kill in most drivers. No, it was ok - as usual it all looks much more chaotic if you are looking from the outside - once you are part of the chaos it all starts to work somehow. In the evening I just had a short walk through Tabriz in search of food. That was no easy task at all - in Iran the weekend (Thursday afternoon and Friday) is taken more seriously than in most countries before, thus I had to walk quite far until I had found an open restaurant and an open bakery. Maybe there were more on the way, but due to my underdeveloped persian reading skills I just did not see it. But I am working on it: I made a cheat sheet with the Persian letters and installed it in my map case.

No comments:

Post a Comment