Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day 138 Jolfa - St. Stephanos - Jolfa

I just entered Iran from Armenia and what is the first thing I do here? Of course visiting an Armenien church! I left my luggage in Jolfa and cycled lightly to the main attraction here: the wonderfully preserved monastery of St. Stephanos. On the way there I stopped at a viewpoint for the few remains of historical Jolfa on the Nakhchivan river bank, at an old caravansarai and another smaller armenian chapel. The monastery plays in one league with the main attractions in Armenia - the whole complex including seminary, courtyard with garden and of course church is a wonderful place to stroll around. It was renovated lately and seems to be taken good care of by Iranian officials. The church walls feature cross carvings and carved windows seldom found in that condition in Armenia.
On a nearby picknick spot some other mixed Iranian/international tourists joined me just as a fox appeared to check out my rubbish - soon a fight between several cats and the fox over some lavash provided by some Iranians started.
The Iranian curiosity and hospitality is very much the way I have heard of - I already heard uncountable 'Welcome's and many people (i.e. not just men) asked me where I was from, where I was going, how I like Iran, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment