Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 220 somewhere over the rainbow - Negombo

Wow, tailwind also works for airplanes ! We arrived in Sri Lanks before 4AM. Immigration was easy: I had registered online and now it was a matter of 2 minutes to get the stamp into my passport. It also did not take very long until I got my bags and my bicycle. I was very very very happy to find out that it had survived the flight without problems. As I was putting all my stuff together both some airport staff and a soldier armed with a huge machine gun helped me - very nice welcome. Once I got out of the Airport I felt like entering the tropical center in Leipzig Zoo: warm and humid, even in a winternight (ok, the concept of winter doesnt really work here). Once I got on the street something felt strange: Aaaah I am in Lefthandtrafficstan now! What a change, I need some readjustment time for that! And I have to change the side of my rearview mirror! Anyway, as I was cycling before sunrise there was not too much traffic around. And at some point I even found a very wide cycle lane! I arrived in Negombo after sunrise (sunset & sunrise are very fast here) and checked in at the first cheap hotel I could find as I was very very tired. After a nap I went out to the beach and decided to change hotel first thing in the morning tomorrow - there are much much nicer places for the same price around!
In the afternoon I had a stroll around town, organized a SIM card and disappointed my first wannabe guide when even after the tenth time of asking I did not give any money to him. The temperatures are about 50° warmer than the -20° I hear from Germany, the sunset over the ocean is really wonderful here and I will have a lovely visitor arriving here tomorrow - life couldn't be better :D

No comments:

Post a Comment