Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 241 Madurai - Dindigul

Wow, finally a cycling day with some non-headwind hours. Some, not all.
Nevertheless I arrived early enough in Dindigul to go for a sightseeing
walk. The city is built beside a huge rock topped by a fort and a temple.
Once again similar if not quite as impressive as Sigiriya in Sri Lanka. The
fort offered some splendid views on the city and the distant mountains.
Most impressive however was the temple. Abandoned. I just had to share it
with some squirrels.
Once I got down I walked into something that looked like a fun fair with a
religious twist. Many stalls, a ferris wheel but also fire goblets carried
around in processions led by musicians and a decked out elephant. As so
often in India: I had no idea whatsoever what was going on, but it was very
enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment