Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 239 Sattur - Madurai

Slowly this headwind is getting a bit annoying! The same wind since 3 days,
aaaarggh! Ok, nevertheless I arrived in Madurai. In the beginning there was
not much of landscape. But I drove by some funny horse temples. Lunchbreak
as always: good cheap food + being stared at by the whole village. Once I
got closer to Madurai there was a huge rock with temples on top - similar
if not quite as impressive as Sigiriya in Sri Lanka. Madurai is the first
Indian million city I enter on this trip and yes: this feels like the real
thing. Everywhere else in India cycling was easy but this here finally is
the utter chaos I had expected, hooray!
I checked in at a youth hostel with a real Indian style dorm - there is no
way you could fit any more beds in that room. I choose that place to meet
other travellers but even though the dorm looked impressive it is near
empty. The warden however is very talkative and very interested in my
travel. And he even gave me a demonstration of his mechanical temple drum
machine. Now I want to have one!

No comments:

Post a Comment