Friday, December 23, 2011

Day 175 Yazd - Urdunuk

It was well worth waiting some days in Yazd - this gave us (Yannik, Erick, Marek) the chance to leave Yazd in a triumphal procession of more than 100 cyclists. All of them on the way to a professional mountain bike race in the outskirts of Yazd. Of course we stuck out a bit with our heavily loaded bicycles and many many fellow cyclists wanted to talk to us.
The way to the bike race also was the last I cycled together with Yannik with whom I spent most of my time in Iran - we did more than 1000km together. Yannik will go deeper into the desert to Kerman, while I took the western road towards Shiraz. It was kind of strange to be alone on the road again. But after so many rest days my legs definitely needed some exercise. About 35km from Yazd I came across some old cave dwellings which would have made a nice camping spot - but I had a huge mountain in front of me and I wanted to get to the other side today, so I kept on cycling. Soon I could see the famous eagle mountain, which really looks a lot like an eagle. Despite the many rest days the ascend to the pass got pretty exhausting - even though it was not very steep, it was more than 1500m uphill - and at over 2600m it was the highest point I reached by bicycle so far. Fortunately I am much more south than at my last high pass in Armenia - here the snow did not even get down to the pass. I reached the top around sunset. A very beautiful sunset. Very very beautiful during the fast descent. I had planned to go until Deh Shir and try to sleep in a mosque or a restaurant, but shortly before I came across an old fort/caravanserai at the highway - I am not sure about its initial purpose as it was already pretty dark when I arrived, but it is for sure a perfect camping spot. Not having planned to camp before reaching the town I had to ration my water for cooking and drinking a bit, but I should have enough to survive the night. While cooking some pasta with beans (accidently as I opened the wrong can) I started to marvel at the magnificant desert night sky, nearly devoid of light pollution. There are so many stars visible here that it is hard to find some common star signs. Of course I found Orion, which is sleeping here - it is nearly laying on its side here. I spent a considerable part of the evening trying to imagine an astronomical model explaining this phenomenon. I came to the conclusion that it should have to do something with me being more south and nothing with me being more east. However for a comprehensive explanation my brain would need access to all the blood which is still in my legs after a long day of cycling.
Or maybe you can help ? Write me a thorough explanation why Orion is (nearly) laying on its left side here and win a wonderful, beautiful, splendid postcard from Iran!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment