Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 034 Beograd

I am tourist. At least for today. I live in a hostel and spend most of the day sightseeing. Needless to say I choose a sublime selection of Belgrades plenty of sights comprised of Serbian Orthodox Temples, the Gallery of Frescoes and Icons and the Tesla Museum.
At first I went to the biggest Serbian Orthodox Church - the Cathedral of Sveti Sava - which is finished from the outside but surprisingly far from being finished and thus a bit disappointing in the inside.
Next was the museum of Nikola Tesla, the inventor of most of nowadays electricity network and many of its applications. He supposedly had planned to electrify the earths ionosphere and therefore provide free energy to everyone - until his financiers asked themselves how they could make money from that and skipped the project. The museum contains some impressive working models. Moreover the urn containing Tesla ashes is on display in the museum.
On the way to the next museum I accidentally found another Orthodox Church, also not completely finished inside but far more imposing than the big one.
The fresco and icon gallery was very small but nice.
Afterwards I had a walk through Belgrades huge fortress/park area above the confluence of Sava and Danube.
The only non-touristic thing I did today: I organized new guitar strings - the old ones did not survive the trip to Belgrade.
















No comments:

Post a Comment