Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 041 Calafat - Добри Дол

And yet another country: Bulgaria. Now all this confusing border crossings will become much rarer: From now on I will cross all countries in their full extend and the countries are getting bigger and bigger: Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran,...
There were some Firsts yesterday and today. Yesterday in Romania: the first time really really bad roads and the first time a lot of people cheering for me and children giving me high fives while I was riding along, especially in the evening when everyone in the villages was out on the street. Today after spending most of the day cycling around Vidin trying to find a Bulgarian mobile operator offering a prepaid card that works for internet for a reasonable price (successful at M-Tel) I had my next Firsts. After leaving Vidin I passed my first street side hookers, which is remarkable given the many border towns I crossed so far. After yesterdays experience with the lady of a less sinful profession they could not convince me to make use of their services. Ok, the decision would have been the same without yesterdays sadistic massage. I wonder why they are always dressed up like drag queens: that is pretty much the opposite of appealing to a straight guy - doesn't seem like a very good business model to me.
Later I passed a gypsy village with some really loud music playing from somewhere. While going up a hill I had the first children shouting 'Money Money!' at me. This is another thing I will have to get used to again. Luckily they were not yet of the rock-throwing-if-being-ignored-sort, so I safely arrived at a Motel near Dobry Dol run by a German/Bulgarian guy who just left Germany because in Bulgaria he could live more freely without such unnecessary things as Internet. Here I had dinner with the french couple who I knew from some days ago when we took the same ferry before entering the iron gate.










2 comments:

  1. Oh man ... Steine werfende Kiddies? Hoffentlich bleibst Su davon verschont. Pass auf Dich auf, Großer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marek,

    lese deine Posts fast täglich. Großartige Bilder und Stories. Kann gar nicht glauben, dass es schon über 40 Tage sind.

    Habe weiterhin einen schönen und sicheren Trip.
    Steffen

    ReplyDelete