Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 095 Belisirma - Derinkuyu

My legs are so strong, they bend hëävÿ mëtäl !!!
Which isn't necessarily a good thing. At least if that heavy metal is a crucial part of your bicycle.
But also some good things happened today: I met not one but two other cyclists today!
But let me start at the beginning. When I was sitting at breakfast beside my over-the-water camping place a young guy walked by. After seeing my bike he introduced himself as Adrien from Switzerland. He had left his bicycle at another entrance of Ihlara valley. He started his trip about three months ago in switzerland and will also go to Iran and then turn to Central Asia. Of course we exchanged contact data and maybe we will cycle a bit together later.
When I got started I got about 2km far. On a steep hill out of the canyon my rear wheel suddenly blocked and the gear shift did not work anymore.
It looked like through my immense power on the pedal the rear wheel has slipped out of its bearing thereby bending the metal of a device that was supposed to keep the wheel in place and blasting one of my gear shifts bowden cables. Ugh! It took me a while until I had figured out how to repair it - and given my marginal bicycle knowledge I am pretty proud of the result. The bowden cable was not a big problem. The keeping-the-wheel-in-place-device however had become useless so I had to fix it with zip ties - it looks very adventurous but it worked perfectly today.
When I was just cleaning up from the repair another cyclist crossed my path: Michal from Poland on his way from North Cape to Cape Town.
He immediately stopped and offered to make coffee - this plus bread and sweets made a great second breakfast which was upgraded even more by grapes some bypassing women presented us with.
As we had more or less the same route we decided to cycle together for the rest of the day. It was great fun and Michal had many a story to share. We went up to a nice crater lake and ended up in Derinkuyu - the town boasting Cappadokias biggest underground city (even though we saw advertisement for some other biggest underground city on our way). We will have a look at it tomorrow.










No comments:

Post a Comment