Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 012 Bouzov > Hranice

I am a liar. Forget (for now) what I wrote about all waters flowing into the Black Sea. Tomorrow I will bike to Ostrava on the Odra/Oder - so I will pay a short visit to the Baltic Sea watershed.
The good news is: today I arrived in Hranice which is very close to the watershed, looking Northeast from here I cannot see any mountains being terribly high and Ostrava is only 60 km away- so I will be on time for the festival :o)
Today was an about 100 km day again. I planned the whole trip to India on an 50km/d average - which was a wise decision. Today at some times after a couple of other 100km days + uphill + headwind + neck and shoulder tension + "so long to target" vs. "so late in the day" motivation was quite low. I am really looking forward to the rest days at the festival. Before starting the trip I (again wisely) invested in a steering rod extension allowing me to put the handlebar much more up which helped in relieving some of the shoulder tension - still I should try to find someone giving me a professional masáže in Ostrava.
Despite the motivational problems the beginning and end of the day were very nice. I slept in to recover from yesterdays exhaustion and started around 11. At the first kms I passed fairytale-like castle Bouzov. Soon after I reached the Morava (March) valley. These are always awe-inspiring moments: cycling through the hills is definitely much harder than just following a river, but there is nothing better then the moment when suddenly a huge valley opens up in front of you, because:
(a) it is usually very beautiful
(b) it tells you that all the up and down cycling is done (for some time).
A bit later I got hit by my first beast :-O !!! I was just cycling along peacefully thinking about how beautiful the bike path was - good surface, shaded by trees, not busy at all, no wild animals bigger than a cat around... - when suddenly a deer about the height of my bike ran right into my right side. Everything was ok - the deer was fine and it did not knock me off the bike or so - we both were simply very shocked for a moment. In the evening I saw some storks which seemed not to be disturbed by the highway nearby. I reached Hranice when the sun was setting, therefore I had to find a place to sleep very quickly - I had some trouble finding a campground, but was kindly shown the way despite my non-existing czech skills - just by saying "Camping" + looking helplessly + smiling :o) In general communication works pretty well - most people are very helpful and interested why I am riding such an overloaded bike. Sometimes waitresses are a bit bugged at first when they realize I cannot speak czech, but usually keeping on smiling and showing them that I am at least trying by saying Děkuij! (Thank you) helps turning them very friendly :-)
Dobru Noç !




1 comment:

  1. wow deer accident on a bike!nice to hear you are ok and fingers crossed for the weather to be nice at the festival...and if it would not, doesnt matter as the music will be awesome, I bet!
    Take care Marek!
    Hana+Filip

    ReplyDelete