Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 027 Budapest - Dunaújváros

Back on the road. After some cleaning and oiling for my bicycle and some rest for me (and a strong tailwind) cycling went well again. But before cycling: waiting for the rain to stop. It eventually did around 2pm, so I had to hurry to reach my next destination Dunaújváros (formerly known as Stalinváros), the Hungarian version of Eisenhüttenstadt, built in the 50s/60s/70s around Hungaries biggest iron works. The current name means: Duna = Danube, új = new, város = town. Unfortunately I did not see much of the city, as the last hour of cycling was dark, rainy and accompanied by a perfectly spectacular thunderstorm, suitable for a decent black metal video. The landscape during the bigger sunny part of the ride was not superimpressive but enjoyable.
However, I slowly notice that I am getting a) later in the year, b) more east within the same time zone and c) more south and thus closer to the "sun from 6 to 6" zone - i.e. I cannot cycle safely until after 10pm anymore, around 8.30 it is already pretty dark. Anyway, despite darkness, tempest, rain and my accordingly somewhat rugged condition upon arrival I was welcomed cordially by my host Viktor and his girlfriend Vero. They prepared a delicious vegetarian meal and we had a lot to laugh. Later I had the chance to give something back to the community based project my navigation relies on by updating parts of the Eurovelo 6 Danube cycle path on openstreetmap.






No comments:

Post a Comment