Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 014 Ostrava

Today no cycling, just relaxing,e eating, enjoying music :o) . Yesterdays last band were Punk Heroes Public Image Ltd. I did not have very high expectations, but they were surprisingly good - if you have the chance: go and see them!
Today started with one of the reasons why I came to Ostrava: one of the rare concerts of Stephan Micus! It took place in a church and it was truely divine, showing that inspired people can turn the most minimalistic music into a great experience.
Back on the festival grounds I listened to some czech bands of which I most liked Luno (for just sounding interesting) and Unification (for, despite the inconspicuous name, being completely lunatic! [and of course also for having a great guitar player named Filip Cerny :-O ]).
Later on followed the brilliant Brendan Perry who played the main stage. I really admire his recordings, both with Dead Can Dance and Solo, but I never imagined him as a festival artist. But again I was pleasantly surprised - even on the huge stage his music worked very well and the audience was very grateful.
Next surprise were Blackfield which are quite famous, but which I did not really notice before - mostly melancholic rock songs and a great live performance (which means just great music not many effects).
Later I checked out some more shows, but most did not really appeal to me - the only interesting one was Frank Yamma, an Aboriginal singer who unfortunately had to play at an unsuitable location - the same church that was just perfect for the quiet music of Stephan Micus did not really fit Frank Yammas voice made for a wide open field.







No comments:

Post a Comment